Did you know that children have 20 milk teeth whereas an adult has 32 teeth? The four main types of teeth you will have are called incisors, canines, premolars and molars and each have different functions. Some people will also have wisdom teeth but these teeth are no longer given a useful function and many people often end up having them removed. They are essentially a third molar and are thought to have been left over from a time where humans needed additional molars to grind up a larger plant-based diet.
Key questions from the children:
- How many bones do humans have?
- What happens when you break a bone?
- How are human teeth different from animal teeth? How are they the same?
- How does the digestive system work?
- What are the main bones in the body called?
- What nutrition is needed to have a healthy diet?