Art and Design at Barwic Parade Community Primary School
Art and design encapsulate some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of the subject. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
The national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences;
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art and design techniques;
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art and design;
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Key Stage 1
Pupils will be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products;
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination;
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape and form;
- about the work of a range of artists and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key Stage 2
Pupils will be taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art and design. Pupils will be taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas;
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay);
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.